Monday, 14 June 2010

Antimatter/Dinosaurs

I told myself I didn't want to make a post every day because then it would get boring to read, but I keep finding interesting things to talk about. Okay, so I was going to write you a long and interesting article on antimatter today, but it turns out there isn't actually that much (understandable) information about antimatter on the net. I scanned wikipedia and this is the jist of it, but I think I'll mainly write about dinosaurs today. Anyway, here is what I found on antimatter.

Antimatter is basically made of antiparticles, the way matter is made of normal particles. So first off, I better explain what an antiparticle is. This corresponds to a particle, having the same mass but oposite charge.
For example, the antiparticle of electron would be the positively charged antielectron, because electrons are negitively charged, or more aptly named, the positron, and it can be produced naturally with certain types of radioactive decay.
A big question in science is why the formation of matter after the Big Bang resulted in a universe consisting almost entirely of matter, rather than being a half-and-half mixture of matter and antimatter.
Instead of boring you with the complete Physics of matter and antimatter, if you are extremely interested in the Physics of antimatter, you can read about it in its entirety here, and about antimatter weapons
here. If not, I will move onto dinosaurs.

Okay, so I realise it would be stupid to try and sum up dinosaurs. Because there is a lot to learn about them. So I did a quick google of dinosaur, and it came up with 17,100,000 results. So instead of sum them up into a lump of crap, I figured I'd do a kind of daily dinosaur bit. Not necessarily daily, but whenever I write a blog I'll tack a bit on the end about a dinosaur or two. On the "Dino Directory" on the Natural History Museum website, they list 333 dinosaurs. So if I do about two a day, I should have them done in...a while. So as this is the first one, I think I'll give a little introduction. Eventually it should end up as a kind of database of dinosaurs when put together, so in a way I suppose I'm becoming Connor. Ah well.


Dinosaurs were reptiles that evolved an upright gait (above) rather than a sprawling gait (below) which more modern reptiles and lizards now have. Basically, an upright gait means their legs were straight, perpendicular to the ground and supported the weight of the body so that they could walk or run more easily, like mammals nowadays. They lived on the Earth over 160 million years ago and are from several different eras (Triassic, Jurassic and Cretacous).


Gorgosaurus

Length: Up to 8.6m
Diet: Carnivorous
Period: Upper Cretacous
Time Span: 80-73 million years ago
Found In: Canada, USA
Size:

Okay, so I realise this blog has kind of turned into me teaching you Physics and science. That's not what it was meant to be. I figure that when I get news of some new game station or phone (when I get an iPhone 4) I can ramble about that, but I promise I'm not trying to educate you. Well I am, but unintentionally, only because I want to ramble about it too. And that reminds me, next time I need to show you the most amazing bed in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment