Saturday, 5 June 2010

Moon Landing Hoax?

Okay, so I've been hearing a lot about the apparent faking of the moon landing. I personally believe that it happened, I mean it's a bit depressing if it didn't, isn't it?
I have this weird aspiration of being an astronaught, and even though it's never going to happen I'd still like to think that there's a chance...and that the whole first man on the moon wasn't really the first man on the moon.

Okay, so peoples theories on this are:
1. 1978 film Capricorn One showed a spacecraft with an uncanny likeness to the Apollo
2. It's taught in Cuban schools that they're fake? (That's a bit weird....thank you for that one, wikipedia...)
3. Technology to send man to the moon was insufficent
4. Gaps in historical records
And so the list goes on....

One particular idea that made me laugh was 'The Flat Earth Society was one of the first organizations to accuse NASA of faking the landings, arguing that they were staged by Hollywood with Walter Disney sponsorship and based on a script by Arthur C. Clarke and directed by Stanley Kubrick.' You can just see Disney making the moon landing, can't you...

When I encountered my next question, motives, Wikipedia was quick to inform me that 'with all the known and unknown hazards of travelling into deep space,' (argueable whether the moon is 'deep space' or not, but I shall continue) 'NASA would not have risked the public humiliation of astronauts crashing to their deaths on the lunar surface, broadcast on live TV. So, with time running out, instead of risking a national fiasco and embarrassment and a cut-off of funding of billions of dollars should some catastrophe happen, it's argued that NASA had to stage and fake the moon landing to avoid such a major risk.'
Now that personally seems like a pile of plop to me, but whatever floats your boat.

Apparently the Soviet Union were onto NASA but in 1969 they did not have the capibility to track spacecraft far enough into space. By the time they did in 1972 'The last three Apollo missions were abruptly cancelled'.

So in this picture (of which there are many if you want to search it into google or any search engine) you can see where the Earth is, and where the Sun is showing it up. But, there is a glint from the 'sun' or some light form on the areas you can see circled. Weird. Now, NASA say that there was light reflected from the Earth (still from wrong direction), lunar dust and uneven ground and wide lens distortion that could have caused this.

People have actually devoted their lives to studying the moon landing and whether it is a hoax or not, including Gerhard Wisnewski and Johanna Collis who wrote the book 'One Small Step?: The Great Moon Hoax and the Race to Dominate Earth from Space'. I might have to read this and see what I think afterwards.

I will admit that after reading some of the things on the internet my support for NASA is faltering slightly, but I wouldn't go as far to say that the moon landings were faked. Apparently 6%-28% of people surveyed said they believed that the moon landing was a hoax, but at the moment I am not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment