Tuesday, 27 July 2010

YES. YES. MORE YES.

Okay so I realise I haven't posted for nearly a month?
...my bad ><

Okay, so firstly, I raged. A lot. This made me really angry. Like seriously, I swear I almost cried while reading it. I got really panicky and I was like "What?! No more space?! WHAT?!"
But then...I read something else.
I quote, "US President Barack Obama says he is aiming to send US astronauts into Mars orbit in the mid-2030s". Oh. My. God. Okay, so if we call mid-2030s 2035, I will be 40 then. Whoa. But seriously, I would do, I will do, whatever it takes to do it. I will stay in university for like, 20 years if I have to, I will move to America, I will become a US citizen and I will abandon all hope of having a family, because more than anything I want to be able to get off this earth.

So I was thinking about this the other day; people are clautrophobic. Claustrophobia: the fear of having no escape and being closed in. In most cases, this is like being trapped in a small room or space, a cupboard or an elevator. But for me, it's like....being trapped on this earth. The furthest away we can get from it is a few miles up in an airplane, and then we just have to come down again, onto a ball of earth orbiting a star. There is so much out there, and it makes me feel so scared to think that the chance of me even getting to see a tiny bit of it is so slim. You look at the night sky and see thousands of stars, and around those thousands of stars there are probably millions of planets, and if there is life out there and it's looking up too, it sees stars too, and we're just one pretty insignificant dot of light.

Back to the mars mission; I would seriously give anything, and I mean anything, to go there. To do that. I will study my hardest and I will try to work my way up. How I see it is I have 25 years to become one of the few people lucky enough to be able to escape this place. At one point I was thinking about joining the RAF and becoming a pilot, but I figure I'm more intellectual and to be honest I wouldn't want to waste that, because I'm more interested in the whole Physics side anyway. I just wish and hope that I'm good enough to be able to be free from this prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment