Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Brian Cox is my Idol

So, I'm going for an interview and I had to fill out an 'About Me' form. One of the questions on it was 'Who would you like to meet and why?' and I had to have a minute to think about it. I have a few idols for different reasons - Jesse Eisenberg because he's overcome so much to be where he is now, Helen Sharman for being a woman in space...Kate Hudson for her ear pride (but that's a different story) - but the one person I think the highest of is probably Brian Cox.

Then I had to think why. Well, he's a particle physicist, and I'm taking physics for A Level, and it's something I'm very interested in. He's done work at the Large Hadron Collider, something else I'm interested in, because the work they do attempts to recreate the conditions right after the universe began. In short, they're trying to work out how everything came to be.

There's two reasons I'm so interested in this. One, I have this kind of thirst for knowledge where I want to know just about how everything works. Like, if I don't know, I have to look it up. I've always been like it ever since I was young, making me an insufferably annoying child, but now I can see it's probably a good thing that I'm so interested. I can't just be told 'oh but God made it', because there's questions like 'how' and 'why' and 'where did he come from?'. I don't want to turn this into a massive religious debate, but I'll just touch lightly on that. That's probably the second most reason that I'm so interested in it - I need to know how the world was created, not just 'done by God', because I'm an atheist. I believe that the world was created in whatever scientific way can be proved, and I'd love for one day it to be fact, just like evolution is and everything else.

I think it's phenomenal the work Brian Cox does at the LHC, because it's broadening knowledge for everyone and bringing new truths out. The kind of predictions they can make - the particles which originally started the universe, their super symmetry which can be compared to dark matter, the fact that the world was created 13.7 billion years ago - I find it fascinating. Really, what I want to do with my life is bring and find knowledge for others. To help discover things that aren't known yet, and to prove that they're fact. That's basically what Brian Cox is doing and he's amazing for it.

Oh, and he was in a rock band too. That's pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment